The government held a meeting of the Government Council on Thursday, 19 Rabi' Al-Awwal 1445, corresponding to October 5, 2023, under the presidency of Mr. Aziz Akhannouch, the head of the government. The meeting was dedicated to presenting sectoral reports, discussing several legislative draft projects, examining international agreements, and discussing proposals for appointments to high-level positions in accordance with Article 92 of the Constitution.
At the beginning of the meeting, the head of the government emphasized that this meeting was taking place in the context of the good news announced by His Majesty King Mohammed VI, may God protect him, to the Moroccan people regarding the unanimous approval of the Morocco-Spain-Portugal bid to host the 2030 FIFA World Cup by the International Federation of Association Football (FIFA). He also highlighted the remarkable progress made in the field of sports in Morocco thanks to the special attention given by His Majesty the King to this sector.
Subsequently, the Government Council reviewed a presentation on the ongoing preparations to host the Annual Meetings of the World Bank Group and the International Monetary Fund in October 2023, presented by the Minister of Economy and Finance, Ms. Nadia Fettah. During this presentation, the Minister discussed the advantages that allowed Morocco to host these meetings, emphasizing that Morocco is a welcoming country conducive to dialogues on crucial issues. She highlighted the quality of infrastructure, the country's experience, its stability, and the importance of its initiatives, making Morocco a reliable and committed partner in facing global challenges. The Minister also noted that this opportunity recognizes the progress made by Morocco in democratic, social, and economic aspects over the past two decades, as well as its ability to respond to crises, as evidenced by its recent response to the earthquake that struck the country.
In recent months, significant preparations have been made for this event with strong participation from Moroccan authorities. The chosen location is Bab Ighli, which had previously hosted COP22 and the Migration Summit in 2018. More than 12,000 high-level participants are expected, including ministers responsible for the economy and/or finance, presidents and CEOs of continental or regional international organizations, the private sector, experts, academics, representatives of national and international non-governmental organizations, as well as national and international media. The event will include various types of meetings and activities (seminars, conferences, bilateral meetings, multilateral meetings, interactive meetings, cultural and scientific activities).
Regarding the draft decree no. 2.23.350 concerning the forms of state aid to support housing and the modalities of its grant to buyers of housing for primary residence, it has been postponed to the next Government Council.
- Subsequently, the Government Council examined and approved the draft decree no. 2.23.319 on the prevention and control of risks related to animals at airports and adjacent areas, presented by the Minister of Transport and Logistics, Mr. Mohamed Abdeljalil.
- The Government Council also examined and approved the draft decree no. 2.23.361 establishing the "Moroccan Youth Prize" presented by the Minister of Youth, Culture, and Communication, Mr. Mohamed El Mahdi Ben Said.
- Furthermore, the Government Council examined and approved the draft decree no. 2.23.921 on the application of the decree-law no. 2.23.870 establishing the High Atlas Development Agency, taking into account the raised observations, presented by Mr. Mustapha Baetas, Minister Delegate to the Head of Government in charge of Relations with Parliament and Government Spokesperson.
The Government Council also continued its work by examining:
- The protocol amending Article 50 (a) of the Chicago Convention on International Civil Aviation and the protocol amending Article 56 of the same Convention, signed in Montreal on October 6, 2016, and the draft law no. 22.23 approving the mentioned protocols, presented by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, African Cooperation, and Moroccans Residing Abroad, Mr. Nasser Bourita.
- The agreement on international road transport of passengers and goods between the Government of the Kingdom of Morocco and the Government of the Republic of Guinea, signed in Dakhla on July 10, 2023, and the draft law no. 45.23 approving the mentioned agreement, also presented by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, African Cooperation, and Moroccans Residing Abroad, Mr. Nasser Bourita.
Finally, the Government Council concluded its work by examining and approving proposals for appointments to high-level positions in accordance with Article 92 of the Constitution.
- At the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, African Cooperation, and Moroccans Residing Abroad, the appointment of:
- Mr. Hassan Lasri as Director of Legal Affairs and Treaties;
- Regarding the Ministry of Energy Transition and Sustainable Development (Department of Energy Transition):
- Mr. Mohamed Ouahmid has been appointed Director of Renewable Energies and Energy Efficiency.
- At the Ministry of Health and Social Protection:
- Mr. Mohamed Zouhair has been appointed Director of Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Supplies;
- Mr. Nabil Laachoub has been appointed Inspector General.
- At the Ministry of Youth, Culture, and Communication (Department of Communication):
- Ms. Nissrine Souissi has been appointed Director of the National Portal and Documentation.